We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Do you ever think about your golden years after you leave your career? Here are some juicy retirement quotes that will help you think more about it in a different way.
87 Best Retirement Quotes: Including Funny, Short and Inspirational
Are you ready to retire? A mention of the word retirement automatically provokes many thoughts to people around. Some think of the graceful age where you enjoy all that you’ve been working for, whereas some only think of problems.
Still, some may not even want to picture it out of fear of the old age and also the loss of that fulfilling career. Various retirement quotes can change your perspective about retirement and maybe paint a different lovely picture.
Whichever the case, retirement should be happy, fulfilling, as well as healthy life later after you have saved enough to sustain you for the rest of your life.
For me, when I think of retirement, I can’t manage to think of anything less than a happy, relaxing, wealthy life full of vacations.
I’m striving to achieve financial freedom through investing in dividend stocks.
I’ve been using Personal Capital’s retirement planner to monitor my investment portfolio and ensure I’m on the right track for retirement.
It’s completely free to use and sign up.
If you want to ensure that you aren’t wasting too much money in your retirement accounts, I suggest you check out how I saved money instantly in my retirement accounts.
The hard work and painful savings of the youthful years ought to pay fully for that comfortable retirement.
List of the Best Retirement Quotes
I have compiled a good number of words of wisdom or better, what I like to call the best retirement quotes that will brighten your day.
This list of retirement quotes has been compiled from various people whose words of wisdom couldn’t go unnoticed.
Inspirational Retirement Quotes
Here are some of the most popular inspirational quotes on retirement that you should read before retiring as well as after.
1. “Just because you are getting older and have retired doesn’t mean that you should have less confidence in your abilities. Think about the experience and knowledge that you have gained by all the years you have worked” -Theodore W. Higginsworth
2. “Retirement: It’s nice to get out of the rat race, but you have to learn to get along with less cheese.” – Gene Perret
3. “Planning to retire? Before you do, find your hidden passion. Do the thing that you have always wanted to do.” – Catherine Pulsifer
4. “Age is only a number, a cipher for the records. A man can’t retire his experience. He must use it. Experience achieves more with less energy and time.” – Bernard Baruch
5. “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” – Lyrics from “Closing Time” by Semisonic
6. “What does retirement mean now that there are so many opportunities for learning, for caring, for serving? We can redefine aging.” – Rachel Cowan, Wise Aging
7. “Retirement is a new beginning, and that means closing the book on one chapter to begin the next.” Sid Miramontes, Retirement: Your New Beginning
8. “Retirement gives you the time literally to recreate yourself through a sport, game, or hobby that you always wanted to try or that you haven’t done in years.” – Price, Stephen D.
9. “Shall the day of parting be the day of gathering? And shall it be said that my eve was in truth my dawn?” by Kahlil Gibran
10. “There is a whole new kind of life ahead, full of experiences just waiting to happen. Some call it ‘retirement.’ I call it ‘bliss.’” – Betty Sullivan
11. “Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
12. “Don’t simply retire from something; have something to retire to.” – Harry Emerson Fosdick
13. “Preparation for old age should begin not later than one’s teens. A life which is empty of purpose until 65 will not suddenly become filled on retirement.” – Arthur E. Morgan
14. “You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
15. “What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.” – T.S. Eliot
16. “Retirement is not a life without purpose; it is the on-going purpose that provides meaningfulness” – Robert Rivers
17. “Retirement is …. a time to experience a fulfilling life derived from many enjoyable and rewarding activities.” – Ernie J. Zelinski
18. “If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.” – Anne Bradstreet
See Related: Best Money Quotes from Rappers
Funny Retirement Quotes
If you have negative thoughts about retirement, go through these quotes and lets us help change the attitude.
If you also want to know how you can make your retirement life blissful, check out our retirement investment and other financial blogs to help you plan for it.
19. “Retirement is wonderful. It’s doing nothing without worrying about getting caught at it” – Gene Perret
20. “When a man retires and time is no longer a matter of urgent importance, his colleagues generally present him with a watch.” R.C. Sherriff
21. “Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” – Mark Twain
22. “Retirement without the love of letters is a living burial” – Seneca
23. “Happy days are here, at last, the days of nine to five are history, you’ve worked your life and paid your dues, now you can do just what you choose”- Anon
24. “He who laughs last at the boss’s jokes probably isn’t far from retirement.” — Unknown
25. “I enjoy waking up and not having to go to work. So, I do it three or four times a day.” —Gene Perret
26. “While working comes with the setting of goals to achieve as much as possible, retirement comes with the setting of goals to do nothing as much as possible” – Unknown
27. “After all those years of seriously doing what you had to do to make a living and raise a family, now you can be a clown, work at Disneyland helping Mickey Mouse, build new homes for Habitat for Humanity, or just be lazy in scenic surroundings.” – Jaimie Hall Bruzenak
28. “Retirement is like a long vacation in Las Vegas. The goal is to enjoy it the fullest, but not so fully that you run out of money.” – Jonathan Clements
29. “I’m not sure that too many Americans would choose the president to manage their retirement accounts.” Mike Pompeo
30. “Retirement kills more people than hard work ever did.” – Malcolm Forbes
31. “The best time to start thinking about your retirement is before the boss does.” – Unknown
32. “A retired husband is often a wife’s full-time job” – Ella Harris
33. “Sooner or later, I’m going to die, but I’m not going to retire.” – Margaret Mead
34. “When you retire, you switch bosses – from the one who hired you to the one who married you.” Gene Perret
35. “When a man retires, his wife gets twice the husband but only half the income” – Chi Chi Rodriguez
36. “Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home — forever.” – Gene Perret
37. “The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off.” – Abe Lemons
38. “Money, friends, and memories are all you need in your old age, make lots of them before you retire”- Arthur N
39. “During your retirement years you should never drink coffee at lunch; it will keep you awake in the afternoon.” — Unknown
40. “Retirement at sixty-five is ridiculous. When I was sixty-five, I still had pimples.” — George Burns
41. “There’s never enough time to do all the nothing you want.” – Calvin & Hobbes
42. “When men reach their sixties and retire, they go to pieces. Women go right on cooking.” Gail Sheehy
43. “Retirement is when you stop worrying about very few vacation days with lots of things to do and start thinking of the so many vacation days you have with very little to do.”- Lydia W
44. “The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.”- Author Unknown
45. “I think the whole concept of retirement is a bit stupid, so yes, I do want to do something else. There is this strange thing that just because chronologically on a Friday night you have reached a certain age. with all that experience, how can it be that on a Monday morning, you are useless?” – Stuart Rose
46. “What can you call anyone who is joyful on a Monday? Retired.” – Unknown
47. “When you think about it, retirement is when you need not ask for a day off to rest” – Unknown
Short Retirement Quotes
These are a set of short, simple retirement quotes. Sometimes shorter is truly sweeter.
48. “Retire from work, but not from life.” By M.K. Soni
49. “Retirement is when having a good time is your only job.” – Anon
50. “As in all successful ventures, the foundation of a good retirement is planning.” – Earl Nightingale
51. “I’m gonna make the rest of my life, the best of my life” – Unknown
52. “The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.” – Vince Lombardi
53. “I’m retired – goodbye, tension!” – Unknown
54. “The question isn’t at what age I want to retire; it’s at what income.” -George Foreman
55. “You can’t put off being young until you retire.” – Philip Larkin
56. “Retirement is not the end of the road. It is the beginning of the open highway.” – Unknown
57. “There are some who start their retirement long before they stop working.” — Robert Half
58. “I have never liked working. To me, a job is an invasion of privacy.” — Unknown
59. “My formula for a treasured retirement is simple: plan, design, enjoy.” – Julia Valentine, Joy Compass
60. “For retirement brings repose, and repose allows a kindly judgment of all things” – John Sharp Williams
61. “Musicians don’t retire; they stop when there’s no more music in them” – Louis Armstrong
62. “Retirement is when the living is easy, and the payments are hard.” Author Unknown
63. “Even if you are on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” Will Rogers
64. “I guess I don’t believe in retirement. I believe in shorter days and maybe in weekends” – Alice Waters
65. “Retirement is wonderful if you have two essentials — much to live on and much to live for.” – Unknown
See Related: Best Quotes on Financial Freedom
Farewell Retirement Quotes
These retirement quotes highlight any farewells and goodbyes.
66. “Goodbyes are not forever. Goodbyes are not the end. They mean I’ll miss you until we meet again.” – Unknown.
67. “It’s time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I’d much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.” Ernie Harwell
68. “Best wishes on your retirement. Enjoy an overdue rest. Take pleasure in the finer things that are awaiting you.” – Judith Wibberley
69. “Retirement may be an ending, a closing, but it is also a new beginning” – Pulsifer
70. “A gold watch is the most appropriate gift for retirement, as its recipients have given up so many of their golden hours in a lifetime of service” – Harry Mahtar
71. “Those long hours in the office, every extra hour after the long shifts, every sacrifice, and all the hopes you held onto for so long should now reminisce in a relaxing, rejuvenating, and enjoyable retirement.” – Adrian J.Williams
72. “Don’t be dismayed by good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends” – Richard Bach,
73. “The purpose of retirement is not simply to exist, to simply survive, but to elevate oneself in life, to have a purpose, to achieve, and to conquer new horizons” – Dave Erhard
74. “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened” – Dr. Seuss
75. “It won’t be the same around here without you. For you brightened every day. You will be missed, but we wish you lots of happiness.” – Julie Hebert
76. “May your old age and retirement be best in four things — old wood best to burn, old wine best to drink, old friends best to trust, and old authors best to read” – Unknown
77. “We celebrate with you and thank you for the smiles and the memories. We know God has more for you to do, so as you retire, we can’t wait to see the continuing difference you make in people’s lives.”- Unknown
78. “The retirement timing is always a tricky thing for a dancer. I think it’s different for everyone. How you say goodbye to the thing you have focused on that much is a tough one. I’ve always intended to leave in good shape, to exit on a high note.” Damian Woetzel
79. “As any Brit will understand, things get a little easier when you don’t have to be number one anymore. Really, the fall of an empire is not as bad as everyone thinks. It’s like retirement. People fear retirement, but it can turn out be rather pleasant”- John Oliver
See Related: Best Investing Apps to Use Today
Retirement Quotes for Coworkers
These are wonderful retirement quotes that you can dedicate to your retiring colleagues as well as those who fear the thot of retirement.
80. “Don’t act your age in retirement. Act like the inner young person you have always been.” – J. A. West
81. “Retire the word ‘retirement’ from your vocabulary. Look it up: it means to ‘withdraw’ or ‘retreat.’ Words can shape reality, and it’s time for this one to go. Doesn’t ‘renaissance’ or ‘graduation’ or ‘transition’ better describe your post-career life?” – Marika Stone
82. “On the positive side, retirement can be an opportunity to enjoy life in a new way, the right to stop work and do the 1,001 things you’ve always wanted to do but never had time for, and a chance to give yourself over to new challenges and adventures.” – Sara Yogev
83. “Maybe the word ‘retirement’ makes you think of old age, boredom, and laziness, but I’d rather have you try to think of it as freedom to do what you want, freedom to be as active as you’d like, and even freedom to work the job that you like – to be in a place where money doesn’t dictate your choices.” – Rex Dalen
84. “My retirement plan is to get thrown into a minimum-security prison in Hawaii.” — Julius Sharpe
85. “A lot of our friends complain about their retirement. We tell ’em to get a life.” —Larry Laser.
86. “We spend our lives on the run: we get up by the clock, eat and sleep by the clock, get up again, go to work – and then we retire. And what do they give us? A bloody clock” —Dave Allen.
87. “Living each day as if it were your last doesn’t mean your last day of retirement on a remote island. It means to live fully, authentically, and spontaneously with nothing being held back.” – Jack Canfield.
See Related: Best Financial Planning Quotes
Conclusion on Retirement Quotes
When the time to retire comes, it ought to be a time for fulfillment for the accomplishments you’ve made during your working years. Never should it be a punishment or a season of loneliness.
Let these retirement quotes shape your way into the bliss of retirement and push you towards achieving your retirement goals.
Whether you are just starting your working life or almost retiring, this retirement blog can teach you how to invest for retirement wisely and retirement strategies to help you achieve financial freedom.
What comes to your mind when the word retirement is mentioned? Are there any retirement quotes that we should add to the list? Let us know in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you!
- Best Robo-Advisors Compared
- How to Use A 401(K) Optimizer to Save on Retirement Fees
- 401k Alternatives: Three Retirement Plans You Never Heard of
Subscribe to the Millionaire Mob early retirement blog newsletter to find the best travel hacking tips, dividend growth investing, passive income ideas and more. Achieve a financially free lifestyle you’ve always wanted.