Our free credit card tracker spreadsheet will help you monitor your spending, credit score and rewards points balances.
Free Credit Card Tracker Spreadsheet: Monitor Your Spending and Points
Building a portfolio of credit cards can be stressful and hard to monitor. I’m here to help.
I created a free credit card tracker to help you track your spending, rewards points and create an annual budget for yearly spending. This spreadsheet is a fully-customizable and comprehensive spreadsheet that can help you travel (and budget) like a pro.
I use this credit card tracker as a way to monitor my spending on vacations. I think that traveling is one of the best expenses and ways to spend money. You learn so much from traveling. For me, I love going to international destinations and seeing things that are completely new to me.
It’s a refreshing way to see the broader perspective of the world. I love the feeling of stepping out of the airport into a completely new, unknown destination.
Why you need a spreadsheet to track your credit cards
If you are like me and have multiple credit cards for multiple purposes, there’s no better dashboard to track everything that you need to do by using a spreadsheet.
The benefits of a spreadsheet are easy:
- No need to rely on app updates
- Password changes? Who needs those?
- Customized exactly to your preference
- Automated to meet whatever spending requirement you need
- Log your crucial points redemption values (each person’s miles vary, so you need to log your own data points)
There are a lot of things that you can use the tracker for. The main reason why I use it is that the spreadsheet template allows you better your travel hacking goals. However, there’s a lot more to it beyond travel hacking.
This spreadsheet can be an all-encompassing tool for your budgeting and planning needs. Start saving money for travel or other expenses.
What is travel hacking?
Travel hacking includes a number of different components and everyone has a different viewpoint of the definition. I think of travel hacking through these distinct definition buckets:
- Credit card churning: Credit card churning is the act of opening credit cards solely for the benefit of the sign-up bonus. With credit card churning, you are able to earn significant rewards points in a relatively short period of time. Churning credit cards is a marathon and not a sprint. Read more on the basics of credit card churning.
- Manufactured spending: Manufactured spending is spending money artificially that can be used to generate additional points or use artificially spend to accelerate the minimum spending requirement necessary to achieve the sign-up bonus. Manufacturing credit card spending is not for everyone. Here is our manufactured spending guide.
- Travel hacks without a credit card: Travel hacks without a credit card are the small things that you do on your travel. The in-betweens. These small travel hacks are usually specific to a particular destination or county. These small travel hacks add up and are important to save you time, money and have overall better travel experience. Here is an example of over 23 ways to participate in travel hacking without a credit card.
- Booking award travels efficiently and effectively: Booking award travel is important since you want to optimize all of those hard-earned points. No need to throw away points just because you want to book a trip. You need to ensure that you are booking your travel at the most favorable conversion rates. These are some of my favorite tools to book award travel.
I suggest being a good travel hacker by focusing on 2-3 of the above-defined buckets. You should try to excel at a handful of them. The downloadable spreadsheet can help you do so.
Do you need to travel hack to use the spreadsheet?
No. Not at all. You can download the below credit card tracker to track spending and other vacation budgeting. The spreadsheet is comprehensive enough that you can use it to be completely dynamic to develop a personal financial plan or annual expense budgeting.
If you have a travel hacking and credit card tracking spreadsheet, you avoid the following:
- Missed point redemption opportunities
- Accidentally applying for too many credit cards
- Conducting manufactured spending and missing out on a better way to generate new points
Alright, ready to get started? Here’s what is all included in the credit card tracker.
Components to the credit card tracker spreadsheet
The credit card churning spreadsheet highlights a number of components that are essential to better your financial future while traveling the world. You can use the tracker to do a lot.
Here are the core components of the travel hacking spreadsheet.
- Credit card tracking tab: Use this tab to input all of your credit cards and their corresponding benefits, rewards and sign up bonuses. These are the best credit cards to churn for your travel hacking goals.
- Hard pull credit inquiries: In this tab, you can log all of your Experian and Transunion hard pull credit inquiries. This is a great way to track when (and why) the last pull of your credit score was.
- Manufactured spending tracking: If you conduct manufactured spending, you can easily log all of your transactions that were related to manufactured spending.
- Rewards redemption: For every rewards redemption you can log your points redeemed and cash value. This will help you keep track of the actual value of the points that you are redeeming.
- Progress on existing credit cards: On the progress of existing credit cards tab, you can monitor and track all the points you are earning with a particular credit card. This will help ensure that you never miss a sign-up bonus yet.
- Track your yearly spending and make a budget: Bonus! With the yearly spending tab, you can track an entire budget from your gross income all the way down to disposable income. Why is this included? This is a great snapshot to show that you can travel. It’s okay to spend money on yourself and enjoy the experiences of traveling the world.
- Vacation expense logging: With the vacation expenses sheet, you can log every expense you incur during your travels. This will help you get smarter about future budgeting.
- Travel costs logging: With travel costs, here is where all the miscellaneous expenses will come into play. The small expenses during your travel experiences do add up, so stay smart by logging each expense in thorough detail.
There above 8 different tabs to the tracking spreadsheet make this tool comprehensive enough to be used in a variety of different ways.
How the tracker can be powerful
One of my favorite aspects of the tracking spreadsheet is that you can log all of your rewards redemptions. These data points will help you to become a smarter traveler.
You can start traveling (and redeeming points) like a pro. By using the credit card tracker to log all of your rewards redemptions, you start to become your own data hog that can be used to gauge future rewards redemptions or possible devaluation of points programs.
Download the Free Credit Card Tracker and Get Started
You can download the completely free credit card tracker below. Get started on traveling the world and tracking your credit cards in a more efficient manner.
Note: once you download the tracking template, there are placeholder datapoints in there for credit cards. This will help you visualize the formatting of the tracker. Feel free to delete or add in the necessary information as you see fit.
How will you use the downloadable credit card tracker?
I created a video tutorial that shows you exactly how to use a credit card spreadsheet.
Video tutorial on how to use a credit card tracker
The below video will show you exactly how to use the credit card spending tracker to your benefit.
Conclusion on Credit Card Tracking Spreadsheet
A credit card tracker can help you have the proper checks and balances with your personal finances. I believe that traveling the world starts with building the right tools for success.
Organization is the key to successful budgeting.
How will you use the credit card tracking spreadsheet? Let us know in the comments below. I’d love to hear from you.
- How to Choose Between a Restaurant or Cafe
- How to Become a Digital Nomad
- 2 Days in Amsterdam Itinerary
Subscribe to the Millionaire Mob early retirement blog newsletter to find the best travel hacking tips, dividend growth investing, passive income ideas and more. Achieve a financially free lifestyle you’ve always wanted.